Lori Zoellner, Ph.D.
ProfessorDegree From: University of California - Los Angeles
Interests: Information processing abnormalities in the anxiety-based disorders, with emphasis on the prevention and treatment of chronic psychopathology following trauma exposure such as posttraumatic stress disorder.
|Course Website(s)||PTSD Treatment Options|
|Do I accept and train new psychology graduate students in general?|
|Am I accepting new graduate students in the upcoming year?|
|I am accepting graduate students in the 2018-2019|
|I will be taking a student for Fall 2018. Preference is for students interested in intrusive memory processes.|
Over the last 20 years, our knowledge regarding the nature of post trauma reactions has increased substantially but key questions in understanding mechanisms associated with recovery following trauma exposure remain. Who is most likely to develop chronic psychopathology? How do we most effectively intervene for those immediately following trauma and for those who are still suffering months and years later? Better understanding the mechanisms associated with natural and therapeutic recovery we may be better able to answer these key questions. My research focuses on addressing these questions across three main areas of inquiry: information processing mechanisms associated with trauma exposure and psychopathology, prevention of chronic psychopathology following trauma exposure, and intervention for chronic psychopathology following trauma exposure. In addition to the focus on understanding these issues, I am also interested more broadly in the issues of information processing and intervention across the anxiety disorders.
- Keller, S. M., Feeny, N. C, & Zoellner, L. A. (2014). Depression sudden gains and transient depression spikes during treatment for PTSD. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 82, 103-111. (2014)
- McLaughlin, A., Keller, S., Feeny, N., Youngstrom, E., & Zoellner, L. (2014). Patterns of therapeutic alliance: rupture-repair episodes in prolonged exposure for PTSD. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 82, 112-121. (2014)
- Zoellner, L. A., Pruitt, L. D., Farach, F. J., & Jun, J. J. (2014). Understanding heterogeneity in PTSD: Fear, dysphoria, and distress. Depression and Anxiety, 31, 97-106. (2014)
- Jun, J., Zoellner, L. A., & Feeny, N. C. (2013). Sudden gains in prolonged exposure and sertraline for chronic PTSD. Depression and Anxiety, 30, 607-613. (2013)
- Zoellner, L. A., Bedard-Gilligan, M. A., Jun, J. J., Marks, E. H., & Garcia, N. M. (2013). The evolving construct of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD): DSM-5 criteria changes and legal implications. Psychological Injury and the Law. (2013)
- Bedard-Gilligan, & Zoellner, L.A. (2012). Dissociation and memory fragmentation in posttraumatic stress disorder: An evaluation of the dissociative encoding hypothesis. Memory, 20, 277-299. (2012)
In the News
- 02/07/2018 Isabelle Tully, a junior honors student in Psychology, is UW's Sophomore Medalist. Isabelle works in Lori Zoellner's lab. Isabelle will be recognized by Ana Mari Cauce and Jerry Baldasty next month.
- 10/17/2017 Lori Zoellner is interviewed in this article from The Daily about her collaboration with the Somali Reconciliation Institute to create a program to promote trauma-focused treatment.
- 09/27/2017 Congratulations to Lori Zoellner and Shannon Dorsey, who were among the winners of the University of Washington Population Health Initiative pilot research grants.
- 05/01/2017 Congratulations to Lori Zoellner who just received her 1st year of NIH R34 funding for her research titled “A lay-led intervention for war and refugee related trauma.”
- 03/28/2016 Lori Zoellner just received funding from the Seattle Foundation for her work on Trauma Healing in Islamic communities.
- 12/16/2015 Lori Zoellner just received funding from the Catherine Holmes Wilkins Foundation for her work titled Trauma Healing in the Somali Community. Congratulations Lori!
- 06/25/2014 Lori Zoellner shows patient with PTSD may know best when it comes to their treatment:
- 05/28/2014 Lori Zoellner was recently interviewed by UW Today about her work on PTSD treatment.
- 10/02/2013 Janie Jun won the Putnam Trauma Research Award from the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies.
- 04/10/2013 Natalia Garcia has received a National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship.
- 10/17/2011 Lori Zoellner’s work on post-traumatic stress disorder was featured in UW Today: “Learning to not be afraid.”
- 04/13/2009 Aileen Echiverri received the Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award for Individual Predoctoral Fellowship to Promote Diversity in Health-related Research.
- 04/11/2008 The UW Clinical Psychology program has received a number 1 ranking (tied with UCLA and Wisconsin) in the latest U.S. News and World Report ranking of more than 200 graduate programs.
- 04/23/2006 Drs. Lori Zoellner and Richard Bryant review current research on Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and the therapies and medicines that can effectively treat the condition on UW TV, Sunday, April 23rd, 10:00 PM.
- 07/05/2004 Lori Zoellner's work on Psychology’s and Psychiatry and Behavioral Science’s proposal to create the Collaborative Center for the Cognitive Behavioral Treatment of Anxiety Disorders was funded by the Provost's Fund for Innovation and Redesign.